Tuesday, March 28, 2023

And the Winner is . . .

 Layout number four!  If you're just now joining me and you didn't see what the  question was, you can read about that here.  Thank you for all of your input both on Facebook and on the blog.  And here are my blocks rearranged on my design wall to the layout that you voted for.  Oops!  I see a block flipped the wrong way.  Can you spot it?  I haven't taken the time to study this yet to see if I need to switch any of the blocks placement but and I can see some places I think I will switch around.  I need to get going and sew this together for the fundraiser it was created for!


If you've been reading my blog since I hopped back into the blogging world a few weeks ago, you know that I am working on finishing a quilt that a friend of mine received from her mother when she graduated from high school in 1979!  It was all done except for the binding so I am going to finish it up for her so she can finally enjoy it!  Can you believe she still had all of the original fabric it was made with? 

Here are the 1978 fabrics I chose to make the binding.  I cut a bunch of 2 1/2 x 15-ish long strips of each of these and sewed in an alternating order until I had enough inches.


Ironed the binding strip in half . . . 


And here are 400 inches of binding ready to be sewed on Lynda's quilt!  We'll see how long it takes me to get this sewn on.  I haven't started yet but I will very soon!  I hope to have the big reveal in a few weeks.


Last but not least, I mentioned I was working on a mini quilt for a quilt swap.  Here are the 30 little blocks I had so far.  

I haven't made a lot of progress.  But I'll show you the next step.   On opposite sides of each little block will be sewn medium to dark colored triangles.

Then triangles in light to medium shades on the other two sides, then trim the square to 2 5/8" inches.  Ugh.  I hate cutting in 1/8ths.  If I had noticed that before I started making this, I think I would have picked a different pattern.


That's the latest and next time around I will you show what I picked up from a lady selling fabric on Craigslist.  She had a lot OLD stuff and some of the designs are pretty funky!   

Until next time!

Linking to Midweek Maker

6 comments:

  1. Your friend is going to be so happy to have her quilt finished! Seeing those old calicos brings back so many memories from that time period. Have fun with your little quilt, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you worked out the arrangement of your Log Cabin blocks. When I ask through social media about something like that, I've learned to accept everyone's thoughts with grace. Usually the respondents share a DIFFERENT opinion, rather than a response to "one or the other." I end up with a combination of responses that set me to thinking differently, and perhaps that's a good thing. I'm glad you've worked out what you want to do. As for the 400" of binding you prepared... you're a saint! What a good friend Lynda has in you, to take on finishing her quilt. That's friendship at its best! And yes, it's most fortunate that the fabric was there for binding the quilt. Finishing an old quilt doesn't often work out that way; the finisher usually has to go fabric-shopping for the right piece(s). Looks like you have a good start on your Grandmother's Cracker Box blocks. I also think it will be interesting to see the old fabrics you bought off Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW on the binding. Your friend is so lucky and will be thrilled I am sure when you give her back a finished quilt. That mini quilt is going to be so sweet! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see her reaction when I give her a completed quilt! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that yummy yellow binding! The log cabin quilt is looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet scrappy binding!!! Love your block work, too!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment--it came through as noreply-comment 😕 and I no longer have your email address. But great to hear from you again and see your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!