Thursday, October 1, 2020

Indecisive Me! Please Advise!

So this is the quilt top that I made to go with a vintage piece of 1950's nursery rhyme fabric that I found.  You know the one that my daughter thought was creepy?  Yes, I can see her point, but I have always been fascinated by past designs and motifs in spite of their creep factor.

Here is the "creepy" fabric I will be putting on the back of it.  

I will be donating this quilt to our church for an upcoming auction.

Anyway, as is very common with me I can't decide how I should quilt this.  I am thinking I will keep the thread color white or off white but what design?  Stipple?    I have taken work off today and tomorrow to be able to work on projects like this so I hope one of you jump starts me with just the perfect idea.  


I finished sewing together my king size log cabin quilt that I have been making for our bedroom!  I don't make big quilts and I don't finish very many so this is huge huge huge for me!  It is at the long arm quilters right now.  There is no way I could quilt this one on my DSM.  I guess it can be done as I've read about others who do, but I have no desire.  UGH!  Wrestling is not my favorite.  I can't wait to show you.  She said it will be 5-6 weeks. 

I have never made a Dresden block before so have been fiddling around with a ruler I just bought.  The flower petal part of the Dresden goes together really quickly.   I need to decide on a center for this one.

Same for this one.  I am auditioning this pink polka dot but not sure if it's too bright with the rest of these colors.

I'm not so sure about the next part.  Sewing it down onto a square.  I'm definitely open to hearing any tips you may have about sewing a Dresden!

Another project I have been playing with is a QAL being led by Lori at Humble Quilts.  It's going to be a very small mini quilt.  She named it Fifty Shades of Brown.  So far it is a checkerboard of brown four patches and 2 1/2 inch brown squares in between those.  I don't think I'm very good at picking out fabrics for this one because it looks like a hot mess!  She advised us to put four squares of pink and two of blue (or whatever colors we wanted) mixed in with them.  So I did, but it still just hasn't grabbed me yet.  I haven't sewn anything together because I might redo some of the blocks.  I am hoping whatever we are supposed to do with the borders is going to tame this down a bit!

In studying this a bit I think one of my problems is that I have included several fabrics that are mostly brown but do have other colors in them as well.  I might need to eliminate those.  I also noticed that my solid squares are a lot busier than Lori's so I might need to rethink those too.  I sure would like to see the inspiration quilt to get a better idea what this is supposed to look like.

Anyway, quilting ideas for my creepy quilt.  I'd love to hear them!!   

Linking to: