Monday, September 3, 2018

Reroofing a House (Before and After)

So sweet to have two blogging buddies contact me this week to see if I was doing ok.  I wasn't sure why they were asking until I realized it had been a month since I did a blog post!  You ladies made my week and you know who you are!  💓💓

As you know if you've been following me for a while, I have been making random house blocks every so often using a design by Sandra at Mmm! Quilts!  I have been making them in different color ways and my most recent color was red.  Red is my favorite color so I couldn't figure out why in the world I did not like this house!  Here is the offending block:

Then someone made a comment to  me after I was lamenting that I did not like my red block but couldn't figure out why.  They pointed out that I wanted the block to read "red" but the roof reads more like white.  So I decided to reroof that darn red house block!

Here is the reroofed red block . . . Ahh, much better!!

Oh, I did something on a whim that is not like me.  I ordered myself a piece of furniture.  A new sewing chair!  I am blaming my fellow quilt bloggers for this one.  I saw this chair on somebody's blog (can't remember where now) as they had just ordered a bunch of them for a retreat center somewhere.    Maybe one of you saw that blog post?  Anyway, here she is!  I LOVE IT!!  And I didn't even know it when I ordered it but the seat lifts up for some extra storage.  It's perfect for keeping my BSR foot and walking foot very handy.  And the cushioned back is in the perfect spot to support my back when I'm sewing.  Love the color and the fabric too!


One step closer to having a "cute" sewing room.  Right now it's just messy.  Here is the one corner that looks halfway inviting.  It's just a chair for anyone who wants to come in and talk with me while I'm sewing.  And it's still got boxes and "stuff" piled around it.  It is a work in progress for sure.


Not only have I been neglecting my blogging but also my sewing!  I belong to a Stash Bee and I am soooo behind on getting our queen's blocks done.  I finished one tonight (please forgive me Sue!!)  

And Jen's block which was made a long time ago but never got mailed (I am TERRIBLE!)  These are both going in the mail tomorrow.  What is my problem?????


Last but not least, I am still struggling to keep at Ashley's quilt.  It took me forEEEEEVer to decide how I was going to quilt in between the lattice colors and finally went with one I've done before. Swirls.  I kinda like doing those.  I'm on the home stretch.  Yes, I did cheat and used the scallops on two different colors.  They are easy  and quick and I am soooo wanting to be done with this quilt!  Ashley, if you're reading this, yes I know YOU want me to be done too!

Oh, I forgot one more thing!  My son just informed me that I am going to have a third grandchild!  Oh my!  That was unexpected!  The last one just turned one not that long ago!  Well, I have to say those two really do create the most beautiful children so I am looking forward to meeting this new little one.  We're all hoping for a boy this time (two girls already) but if not, oh well!  

It's good to be back blogging again and I am hoping and praying that my good friend Kate (Smiles From Kate) is going to feel like sewing again soon.  What an awful ordeal she has been through!

I hope you all got lots of sewing time in these week and I'll close this blog post with a beautiful sunrise that I caught on the way out of my driveway last week.



Linking to:




20 comments:

  1. Love your sewing chair, so cute!! Also like you comfy chair, you are making a retreat for yourself, all you need is a bathroom and you never have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! And when Don makes my new king-sized barn wood bed, I know who to ask for a custom quilt! (You take orders, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love your red house block. I actually did like the first roof, but did not like that the chimneys were the same color. You did an awesome job on it! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chair is so colorful. I wold assume it was made just for you. Enjoy it in good health, Janice. Your red house is charming with its flowery roof, a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There you are! Glad to see your sewing space, and that new chair! How awesome! I just bought a new chair, too, but stuck with the old steno chair...something I could afford. Sure makes a big difference! Your design wall looks awesome! Changing the roof was just the ticket to make your red house perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra's pattern is great. Love the new chair. I haven't been doing much either, I seem to have lost my sewjo. Congrats on the new grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that all is well with you! I love seeing your house blocks hanging around your design wall in their own little neighborhood. Your chair is so fun, I hope it motivates you to get your butt into it and do some sewing, ha! All kidding aside, Ashley's quilt looks great and you're in the home stretch. As long as you're enjoying it, that's what counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horses, bees - could it be cuter? You are definitely forgiven. The house block is definitely improved by the re-roofing, I couldn't tell what was wrong either! love the chair! A chair that supports in the right place is so hard to find, I could honestly throw my work chair across the room sometimes because even though it's adjustable it's still not comfortable! And finally the grandchild - congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew colorful here! Love your design wall. Yes, that new roof really helped that block out. Your new chair is adorbs! Each shop in the Twin Cities shop hop give one of those chairs out every year, so I have long admired them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm afraid if I set in your sewing chair I may never get up and leave. I'm in love with that big ol' sewing room! The quilting on Ashley's quilt is looking so good! You will have a finish before you know it. I do love the new roofing on the house, it did kind of add a little oomph to it. Glad to see you back to blogging and sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for your inspiration on the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your red house is lovely and the sewing chair looks oh so comfy. Working on bee blocks allows you to flirt with many blocks without making a commitment to any one. Isn't that right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to have room for a comfy lounge chair in my sewing room. Sometimes you just need to r-e-l-a-x! And your sewing chair is a hoot! Very fitting. I also love your Migrating Geese on your design wall. Loads of good things in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Grandma! What exciting news. So is the new sewing room. Soon it will be so cute you won't be able to stand it! We sell those sewing chairs at the store where I work--Always in Stitches in Noblesville, Indiana. When I first saw them I thought they were cute but impractical. Then I sat in one. They are perfect! That cushion perfectly fits the small of my back. And I love the extra storage under the seat. I have my eye on one as soon as I can afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the pending new addition to the family! Hope you are able to get caught up on the sewing front and enjoy playing with something new once you finish Ashley's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Janice this is just too funny, but I'm writing my blog-iversary post, and am linking to you about something, and here you are talking about my house blocks and linking to me!!! Made me just giggle and grin and wiggle with delight, both the synchronicity of it all and seeing my houses on your design wall LOVE that corner! Yes yes! A chair is always a must for those who want to come in and chat with us. Fur or human. Thank you for doing these blocks, so much. Glad all is well and congrats on a third grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I love your chair too! and your quilting is spectacular, woman! Those swirls are to die for!

      Delete
  17. Hi Janice! What a fabulous chair. It looks very comfortable and that fabric is sew very cute and appropriate for your sewing room. How wonderful that you get to welcome a third grandchild. They sure are great, aren't they?! The extra chair in your sewing room looks so inviting, and I love seeing those house blocks on your design wall. They look quite fetching there until you get enough to make something with. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, where did you get the chair? It would be sew handy to store my FMQ rulers and information in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found the chair and it has shipped! Can't wait. Got lime green with black and big buttons!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!