Friday, September 28, 2018

Ashley's Quilt in the Dorm & Idaho Pillow in Progress

Ashley's quilt has been delivered and she graciously sent me a few shots of her new quilt in her dorm room.   If you want to read the story of this quilt, you can read about it here and here.   If the ceiling seems a little low it's because her bed is on risers to give more storage under the bed.  Ahh!  A quilt home at last.  :)


I had an unexpected project come up and we'll see how it goes.  This is the first time I've made an envelope pillow.   I'm making an Idaho pillow for an auction basket at work.   I'm just on the quilting part and haven't sewed it together yet.  Here's what I have so far and I want opinions!

Idaho Pillow in Progress

Should I keep it simple and leave it at this?  Or should I do some more quilting inside the state?  Perhaps some dense quilting? or the word "HOME" in cursive?  Any other ideas?  Or just leave well enough alone?  I LOVE when you guys brainstorm with me so let's hear what ya got!  You don't have to be a blogger to comment either.  Let's here from some of my friends here in Idaho!  What could I do to this pillow to get you to bid on it if you saw it in an auction?  (yeah, I know.  Finish it!)


Linking to:
Busy Hands Quilts
Can I get a Whoop! Whoop!
New to Me


16 comments:

  1. Why leave an empty space when you can quilt it to death? I know your potential so go for it, maybe do the central quilting in a coloured thread? HOME would be nice but I see a big feather curving both ways from the centre, zany I know you can quilt feathers well. It’s lovely to see Ashley’s quilt in her room and isn’t it tidy? Or maybe it’s because it’s the opposite of my daughter’s room when she was that age. Not now though, if I sit still for too long I’m afraid she will clean me next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley’s quilt looks awesome! I agree with Kate! It needs more. Not sure about a feather, but inside that state shap looks lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a small star where you live and roads leading into? That would be simple and you can emulate whats on a map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, Normally I would do something like that but this auction will include people from all over the state so I'm going to keep it pretty generic.

      Delete
  4. I would echo 1/2" inside the state outline and then do maybe Home, or Idaho words in the center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I hadn't thought of echoing! I like that idea!

      Delete
  5. Hi Janice! Ashley's quilt looks so nice decorating her bed and I love that Beatles poster. You quilt really makes it feel more homey. That pillow is cool, and I love the idea of making it look like a road map with a star for your area. Or a heart even - all roads lead back to home and home is where the heart is. Have fun with it! Happy Saturday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cursive "home" idea. That would add just enough. Your daughter's room, plus quilt, is magazine perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to see Ashley's quilt "in the wild"! Her room is very nice and neat, too :)

    I like the idea of lots of dense quilting inside the state, with an echo around the inside first so the state shape really pops. But really, the piece has such good bones that you can't go wrong. You could stop right here or go hog wild and both would be fun and fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anyway to incorporate the state bird and flower? I also think the echoing idea is great...Ashleys quilt is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. let's see, are there lakes? you could stitch in topography. I personally love echo quilting, so you could do a heart in the center, and radiating lines around that to the shape of the state, or following the state lines just quilt in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the Idaho just as is. Ashley's quilt is beautiful in her dorm. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd quilt in Idahome in the center! That dorm room looks fabulous with the quilt - wish my dorm room looked half that nice, back in the day, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that I like the state outline plain. I think you risk losing the boldness and recongnizeable-ness of the state shape if you fill it in with a lot of pattern.

    It's amazing to me how much dorm decor does not change! That could totally have been my dorm room 20+ years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am with Emily I like the state outline plain too :)
    Thanks for linking up to New to Me too and apologies for the tardiness in responding I have been on holiday and just got back home!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!