Saturday, March 14, 2020

Great Progress!

I misspoke last week when I said only two rounds of logs to go and my king size quilt will be done.  I meant to say the BLOCKS will be done.  Here is what a stack of 210 log cabin blocks looks like.  These are made with 1 1/2" logs and measure 7 1/2" square.  I plan to make my quilt layout 14 x 15.

Now to lay them out!  And then start sewing the rows together.  I think I kind of overdid it on cutting my logs.  I have three boxes full of logs left over!

Quilters are such an encouraging bunch!  Thank you for the kind words about the wobbles in my quilting and the encouragement to just forge ahead.  I'm doin' it!  You are right, I do tend to get overly critical of my own work when I would never, ever dream of thinking the same things about someone else's wobbles.  In fact, when I do happen to notice a wobble on someone else's quilt, it actually makes me feel not so alone.  I finished the Baptist Fan quilting!  No closeups.  LOL!  I think I photographed this upside down


Now all I have to do  is trim and add binding.  I asked on Instagram for suggestions about binding.  I got a few suggestions but wouldn't mind more!  I am indecisive on this one.  Not sure what I want to do.  What would you do?  This is where I miss Paula.  She would always have a suggestion for me. 😔

For the RS Challenge I've made three more Scrappy Trip Around the World Blocks . . .



I messed up on this next one because I was trying to always put the darkest color down the middle and I sewed them in the wrong order.  Sheesh!  Not going to rip it.  It stays.


And here are all the blocks that I have so far this year.  I missed out on the January color of green.  Thinking about making some of those too.



Blocks 16 and 17 for my Civil War Reproduction Block of the Month.  Loving these vintage colors!



OK, hopefully, next time I publish a post, I'll have a quilt finish to show you!  That is if I can make a decision about what kind of binding to use.  Would love your input!

Linking to:
So Scrappy
UFO Busting
Wendy's Quilts & More
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop




10 comments:

  1. I made Scrappy Trips for the RSC a few years back. They're a great way to use up strips! Your Baptist Fan quilting looks great in the photo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your quilting looks great! Way to go on making such good progress on your big quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see nothing wrong with your BF quilting. Done is good! Nice work on the logs. But the scrappy trip is looking fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your baptist fan quilting!!!! Looks fantastic! (Yup, I used fan-tastic again :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your Baptist fan quilting!! That is a beautiful quilt. I would take scraps of the dark fabrics used in the quilt and make the binding scrappy, just like the log cabins are scrappy. the dark hides the dirt better than the light and it would blend in with the border fabric better than going with the light fabrics. I can't wait to see what you decide to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Baptist fan quilt is gorgeous! I love the quilting and wish I had the patience for it. I like Farm Quilter's idea of scrappy binding, but also wondering how it would be to pick up on the blue that is in the 3rd row log for a binding? Your teal blocks are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you were speedy Gonzalez on those log cabins. More in your future I would say. Thank you for posting your RS blocks. That center star with 3 strips in the middle and orange around the outside if just what I needed to see. I have a bunch of HST that are orange and dark blue and wondering what to do with them. On the binding, can you find a stripe with some of the colors in the quilt and put it on horizontally? Or I like that gold color in the second row. It stands out and would look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Baptist fans look fabulous!! The overall texture is just amazing. I want to snuggle this quilt RIGHT NOW! :)

    I usually prefer contrasting binding, but I think this one would look great with a dark brown binding so the nice dark outer border is the defining frame. But you can't go wrong with any of the darker colors in the logs. And speaking of logs, you really went hog wild cutting them, LOL! Maybe that should be "log wild"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Baptist Fan quilting! When I've been using the sewing machine lately, I find I have trouble keeping a straight line, and keeping an accurate 1/4th inch seam! Love your log cabin quilt blocks, very reminiscent of the one I started around 10 years ago, using 1 1/2" strips. I too have lots of strips cut, one from each of my 1800's reprints, and I have LOTS of them! I need to get back to them! But live in a much smaller space now, plus my machines are on strike right now. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Baptist Fan quilting is beautiful. Makes that quilt a knock-out. I'd stick with a dark binding so as not to distract from the center.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!