Friday, May 10, 2019

Quilting by Committee


 Quilting by committee is when I ask for lots of opinions.  I do this a lot! 

I LOVE HEARING YOUR OPINIONS!  

It's kind of humorous the different reactions I get when I ask for opinions.  
Some people are actually surprised and amazed that I want to hear their opinion.  
Some people have a plethora of their own ideas so can't comprehend the need.
  That's not me.  I'm not very original.  
So my dear quilting committee, what would you do with this out of print fabric?  If you have an opinion you are willing to share then YOU are on the committee!
I don't make bags or clothing, only quilts.  Read on . . .


I was looking at my orange scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) to see what I had and came across this old piece.    It is almost a full half yard of Henry Glass fabric from 2004.   I bought this at a yard sale three years ago. As you can see, the print is VERY large and I really don't want to slice it up into itty bitty pieces.  I'd like to use it for a quilt that is good for showing off big prints.  Which means I'm going to have to find some other fabrics to go with it of course.  So what is your "go to" pattern for big prints?  I suppose I could always use this for a backing and combine it with some other fabrics?  

In the meantime, I have made myself another house block for my collection.  Orange of course.  I needed another orange one so that's good!   I am going to take my friend Jessie's advice and add another row to make it a decent size for a bed.  I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find any oranges that looked good together.  I wouldn't normally choose a solid for this house, but kinda ran out of orange choices.  This one has a combo of modern prints and even a 30's repro print (the middle of the star).  The purple door and frame were a scrappy gift from a fellow quilter.  I LOVE getting scraps for gifts.  Was that you, Kate?


Am I procrastinating working on my Coming Home block of the month?  


Why, yes.  Yes, I am.  But I'm not giving up on it.  I have three out of the four appliqued stars done on the next step so as soon as I get that last star done I'll show you my progress. And talk about my potential choices for the step after that.

Please, pretty please, share your ideas with what you would do with that big orange print?

UPDATE!
I got a comment from Karen about this not really being her style and she WOULD cut it up into bitty pieces.  Ha!  Ha!  I had to laugh because I realized it really isn't my style either.  I like the quirkiness of the design but I'm not really a big fan of brown and orange together.  Sooooo before I do anything drastic and cut it up, if there is anyone out there that really likes this fabric, I'd rather give it to you than chop it up.

Linking to:



16 comments:

  1. For some reason, your request for ideas for the large print fabric reminded me of a table runner Cynthia Brunz made and shared a couple months ago. Here's the link: http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com/2019/03/a-quick-finish.html

    She didn't really cut up the print at all, except to add an inner border, and it's a really neat design! Anyway, that might work for your print, Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I think I would probably chop it up into little pieces :) it is not my style for sure and anything I don't like gets cut up little and used in scrap quilts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chop, chop! 😀 And I say this mainly because there aren’t that many of the whole flowers to work with. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use big, bold prints like that on backings all the time. The little donation quilts I made are usually only 40" wide, so WOF pieces like this can be pieced together in wide stripes for backings. On this one, I'd ignore the brown completely and pair it with hot pinks, maybe some reds or a deep purple. With a more plain strip in between, it might play well with another groovy, wild print in your stash! I love working with designs like this because you just never know where it might be just the Right Thing :)

    I also have a folder full of patterns that are good for panels or large scale prints. I don't use them very often, but they are good for inspirational thinking. If you really want to sew it up into a top, I'll look through my patterns for ya!

    The other possibility would be to use it for binding. You'd lose the big floral feeling, but get a nice alternating orange/brown rhythm. Great with an autumnal quilt, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broderie Perse!! Cut out those big orange beauties and applique them on other fabric to make a quilt!!
    http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_history/broderieperse.htm
    https://val-laird.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-ins-and-outs-of-broderie-perse.html
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9DthlGdZcikUAi6VXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMHVzYWVrBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQUJBQ0tfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Broderie+Perse&fr=yset_chr_syc_hp

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't cut it! It's so cool! Very cool, and large scale prints are meant to stay large. I'd have to use it for a backing on a table runner, or make something with big center squares using it. Oh lucky you to have a special fabric. The lily shape is so deco!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used a similar piece in a Ricky Timms "Convergence Quilt". Find 4 fabrics that coordinate and slice and sew for a beautiful outcome. The remaining pieces can be left whole for the pieced backing, telling the whole story of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would use it for a quilt backing so that you don't have to cut into it--it is just a gorgeous piece--love that retro look of it hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it would make a great start to a one block wonder quilt. http://abbquilts.blogspot.com/2008/03/one-block-wonder-getting-started.html?epik=dj0yJnU9dnRqYmxpV1JWal8xNzlFUy02YVR2dGI1TEVBZlZfN1cmbj02S2p0cmRLQW5JQjYxTmNyM3Y0TWFRJm09MyZ0PUFBQUFBRnpXdklR

    It would only be a small centre but would be very interesting. If I lived near you I would make it for you.
    Good luck with what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Louise. At this point I think you have enough ideas from everyone else. I really like the design and think it would be used best keeping it whole.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well your committee certainly came up with some good ideas! The only thing I thought of was a quilt back and then quilt it from the back side by following the big beautiful design. Or you can always give it away like you said, to someone who loves it! It's definitely a fun print.
    Kathleen -- kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a great quilt for my son out of batiks. I cut large rectangles and squares about half the size. I used a large rectangle and 2 Suarez together to make a block. In some cases I only used 4 small squares. I used narrow black between all the pieces.

    In your case, I would make a large rectangle these size needed to get most of a flower. I would combine it with other hot colors - red, hot pink, bright orange. Purple would make a great sashing. The big print would move the eye around the quilt, but would not need to be used in every block.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Janice! Gotta love honesty in your friends. I would agree with Karen - not my cuppa either but someone would adore it and give it a good home. I would, however, love to see the idea because I have a old piece of fabric that I'm trying to figure out what to do with as well. Hmm, maybe Karen gave me your answer unwittingly as well. Do I love it enough to figure out a good project for it?? Now I'm going to read all your comments. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a great print, but definitely BIG. You'd have to find a pattern that uses large pieces if you want to showcase it. I have no suggestions...I, too, am not original. LOL Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can send it to me, girlfriend :-) I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Trust me I will put it to good use, whether it is in a scrap vortex quilt or as a part of pieced backing. You do have my address now, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the large block. I would use the large block as it is then using strips of duplicates of the little houses around the larger block. They could be interchanged with strips of colored strips.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!