Monday, May 27, 2019

Feedsack Quilt Find!

Isn't this delightful???  Love those red polka dots!

The colors are so bright and the fabrics so pristine I almost believed these were reproduction fabrics. I got some good tips from fellow quilters on Instagram about how to tell they are authentic feedsack.

I'll show you some closeups of the fabrics.  They are so cute!!  Not sure why this particular patch has stitches on top.  It's the only one.



One of the comments was from Sandra Starley @textiletimetravels.  She said this: "1940s - not repros -One way to tell is on vintage original animals look a bit creepy and the reproductions always look cutesy".   She is right!  The faces of both the people and the animals are kinda weird and in some cases, the people faces are even blank.  (still kinda cute though) Take a look . . .  who would have thunk to put a boy on a seesaw with a pig???? 

Faceless soldier and maidens.  Check out the duck facing this way.  Hee!  Hee!

Another comment from lucysvintageroom:  "if it’s been stored away unfinished, that would explain the crisp colors! And the weave looks looser to me than current repro fabric would be; like real feedsack. It’s a gem!"

Here are some sweet little lovebirds . . .

This quilt was pieced using a foundation method.  All the scraps were sewn to a piece of muslin and then trimmed square and then the blocks sewn together.  If I were to add batting and a backing, it would be a pretty heavy quilt.  Bernie @ Needle & Foot suggested I just add flannel backing and no batting.  Great idea!  It will be a nice light and cozy quilt to use!   I could keep it just for display but I really think this quilt was made to be used, don't you?

In the same antique mall where I found this quilt, clear on the polar opposite side of the building, I found a treasure of vintage fabric scraps!  Yes, I am beginning to realize I have a problem.  I don't NEED any more fabric.  But I couldn't just leave them there!  These colors and prints are so bright and fun!  I am noticing that the scale of the older fabrics is quite small most of the time.





Love that farmer fabric!  I only have one tiny scrap of it. 

So now to decide what to make with these!  Some of the scraps are one of a kind and I almost hate to cut into them so it might be a very scrappy project with random shapes in order to preserve the majority of the fabric.

Oh that brings up a question I have been wondering about. These fabrics are quite a bit thinner than most cotton quilting fabric of today.  What is the rule of thumb about combining vintage fabric with modern fabric?  Is it ok to do?  Or will the heavier weights of the newer fabric cause a problem?  Maybe I should stick to smaller projects with these scraps and use only vintage with vintage and make some fun pillows.   Any advice for me?  How many of you out there have vintage fabric in your collection?   Now that's a lot of questions I asked right there.   Just pick your favorite! I'd love to hear from a bunch of you on thus topic!  If you are a modern quilter through and through, and can't relate to any of this, I quite understand.  😉

My next post will be the results of what I did with THIS fabric.  I will probably have a finished quilt top by the end of the day so stay tuned . . . !

Have a Blessed Memorial Day!

Linking to:


13 comments:

  1. Looks like you really found some treasures! True vintage fabrics and that bright, happy quilt top are real scores! I definitely think you should quilt it up and use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buying fabric is a part of this crazy hobby!! You had to buy them!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What treasures! Love the vintage quilt top and the fabrics are just fun. You just couldn't leave either there in that shop, both needs someone that appreciates them and knows just what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find. The scraps must have come from the quiltmaker. I can't wait for them to go through my stuff. I'm like you, can't pass the smallest piece of fabric without saving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both amazing finds! Of course you had to buy them. Great tips for being able to identify vintage vs. reproduction fabrics. I am sure you will find the perfect project for the scraps. MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janice! What an interesting post. I've learned things left and right today - how fun. Now can I retain it or even more importantly recall where I read about it when I would like to refer to it again. So very cool, these old fabrics. Makes me want to get out there and find some treasures to be saved myself. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt find! Enjoy getting it finished. I think it's fine to combine old and new fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your vintage scraps would make a nice table topper or table runner, or even a simple table cloth! Such cute pieces you found.
    Kathleen,
    kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally I would not use those precious fabrics on something like pillow cushion covers that will get worn out quickly. I would decide how big I could make the quilt(s) and make numerous smaller quilts to display on a wall, under a lamp or as a centerpiece. I would use flannel as the batting and bleached cotton Muldoon perhaps as the backing, then hand quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. um, that word toward the end is supposed to be MUSLIN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt top is great! What a fabulous find! I really like that orange flower fabric too. I will be checking back to see what you did with it. I have quite a collection of vintage fabrics. Some were given to me and some I picked up at auctions when I worked for an auctioneer years ago. The vintage fabric comes in handy when I do a repair on an old quilt or like when I remade that double wedding ring quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what an amazing find!!! And I think you are a *collector* not in trouble yet - ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful find Janice and now I'm waiting to find out what you use those lovely fabrics for. I want to go shopping with you!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!