Sunday, January 13, 2019

New Quilt Rack! And a finish! (sort of)

I have been told I have a talented hubby.  And I agree!  His daytime job is building houses which he excells at; however, lately he has turned his attentions after work toward creating things out of wood besides houses.  Most recently a quilt rack.  LUCKY ME!  Is this gorgeous or what?  I love it!  Haven't decided what to put on top of it yet (if anything).

He says he has the parts for four more quilt racks cut out so I think I'm going to get one of these in my bedroom too.  I'm going to have him paint that one white or cream and see how I like it.  I have a love/hate relationship with the cupboard you see in this picture to the left of my quilt rack.   Here's a better view of it.

It's no heirloom but rather a veneer that can't be restained.  I bought it when the kids were little and it holds all our DVD's and Videos.  I'm kind of tired of it.  I am seriously considering painting it.  What would you do?

I FINALLY sat down and finished putting the binding on THIS quilt!

I bought this quilt before I had any finishes of my own.  When Vicki at Vicki's Crafts and Quilting showed this on her blog last year I fell in love with it.  I asked her if she had any plans for it and she didn't so she sold it to me.  Then about that same time, Jennifer of Dizzy Quilter was just starting her own longarm quilting business so put out an offer to the first 10 people to respond to quilt a quilt for $50.  How could I pass that up!  So I sent it to her.  She did a fantastic job and I love it.  So I've had it waiting to have binding for about a year.  What took me so long???  So glad I finally got it done.  It's draped on a chair in my living room.  The chair looks so drab now in comparison to this bright and happy quilt.  This picture shows the back and binding.


If you would have told me a week ago that I would be making scrunchies I would have laughed at you.  But guess what I'm doing?  MAKING SCRUNCHIES!   My daughter and her roommate Dana are both going on separate mission trips this summer that they are trying to raise funds for and this is something they decided to try.  It was just a random idea so they made up a few and Dana's sister advertised them on her instagram account and sold every single one they made plus got orders for more!   I guess scrunchies are a "thing" right now.  It's a GREAT way to use up old stash!  Now to figure out what colors and styles girls these days like the best.  I'll be sure to report!




Something fun happened to me this week!  I'm sure many of you may know Valerie Reynolds from Val's Quilting blog.  She lives right across the state border from me.  I'm in Idaho and she is in Oregon.  She told me she wants to come to our next meeting of Owyhee Mountain Quilters!  How fun is that!  It's kind of a long drive for her but she wants to come!  I'm so excited!  Better yet, coincidentally, one of the projects our group is going to work on as we have time is making a quilt for the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project and Val told me she is a volunteer quilter for that group!  So not only can we make a quilt top, but Val has already volunteered to quilt them so we won't have to waste money on postage getting them to a quilter.  We will be making the blocks that will make this quilt:

So far, I have made four of them!  They are so EASY!  I would be delighted if any of my fellow quilter friends out there in Idaho/Oregon land would consider making a few blocks for this project.  As few or as many as you like!

 We will be collecting these for several months and when we get enough we'll make them up into a bed sized quilt or two depending on how many we gather.   Over 4500 families lost their homes and even more than that sustained major damage.   If you would like to be involved, you can just make a few blocks or even make an entire quilt if you wish. It does not have to be this pattern.  This is just an easy one we will be making.  But nobody is limited to only doing this block.  If you are interested in making this block, you can find the instructions here.

 If you want to make an entire quilt of some other design to donate, that would be wonderful as well!

OK, I've rambled on enough for one post.  Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!


Linking to:
Busy Hands Quilts
From Bolt to Beauty
Powered by Quilting
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Quilting is More Fun Than Housework



22 comments:

  1. I didn't know girls still wore scrunchies. I remember making these for my daughter when she was in elementary school 25 years ago. Things sure do go in cycles. The quilt is lovely. Maybe the chest just needs to go in a time out and be set in a room where it isn't seen much, enjoy your living room without it for awhile. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scrunchie thing is very interesting. A young woman I know is making these and I was wondering how she would make any money....but now I know they are a thing again. Both quilts in your picture are very nice. I've been looking at the block that you made and at the kit and I'm thinking there is something a bit different in the blocks in your quilt. I haven't quite figured it out yet but I like quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your quilt that you finished. Seeing as the cupboard is not an antique I feel you could paint it if you want to - you could even fold up quilts to store inside on the shelves instead of videos. Nice quilt hanger!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice! Your new quilt rack looks fabulous, as does the beautiful wedding ring quilt hanging on it. If you are not happy with that cupboard as it is, I would definitely paint it! As long as it's not a family heirloom or valuable - and truly, even if it was, it's yours now. I think it would look just great painted. I love all the scrunchies you shared! I will be interested in hearing what is most popular - it's always a guessing game. And finally, those blocks for the hurricane victims are so fun and easy to make. Carol is really a good egg passing on the news to us and being a collecting point. I can't even imagine all the work involved. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lots going on! Love the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Scrunches is one from the past! Glad they are making a come back. And yes, see ya soon!!:) SMILES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your contributions to the Carolina Hurricane Quilting Project! My own Quilt Bee is working on a quilt, too. Best of luck with the Scrunchie sales!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scrunchies are so fun. My granddaughter wears them. You new quilt rak is fantastic! What an awesome hubby you have. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scrunchies make me laugh. I think I finally just tossed my collection of them from the 80's about 5 years ago and now they are making a comeback. I love the gorgeous quilt you put the binding on - such a pretty quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your latest quilt is it really charming,. As for the chest you could paint it in a nice soft color.You could also antique it to highlight the carvings, and even remove the doors if you like to have the quilts displayed on the open shelves. By the way, the little side chairs are also very delicate, perfect for the location.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to see 'our' quilt Janice, it looks great all quilted and bound! Love your new quilt rack, I have one along those lines too. How wonderful of you and your group to make quilts for the Carolina project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I'm so glad you hav finished it off.
    I love your quilt rack. I wish my husband would take up woodworking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quilt rack is beautiful!!!! And the quilt hanging from it is too. Lovely! Too funny that scrunchies are back! That's a trend I don't plan to go back to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt rack is beautiful! He most certainly is a talented woodworker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots going on Janice. I would paint the cupboard too, a pale cream would be my choice. You have such a clever husband, the quilt rack is lovely, as is your new quilt, even if it wasn’t quite all your own work and the binding matches great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading this post. Good work. Val is very generous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun to have a finished quilt with lots of your friends involved in the making of it! I'm tickled to recognize so many names in this post: Val, Vicki, Jennifer. And it does my heart good to know so many are involved in such a great charity to make hurricane recovery quilts.

    As for the chest, I agree with Gretchen that it might be time to move it into another room and see how your living room feels for a while without it. I love to move furniture around and used to switch out entire rooms. I made my living room into my dining room and vice versa every six months back when I had a condo. I kinda miss pushing movable furniture around :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your quilt rack!! Seriously jelly here!! On your cabinet, wash it thoroughly, lightly sand it to give the paint something to grip and paint it using chalk paint and seal with a wax of your choosing. Chalk paint is good at gripping veneers. So many colors of paint (or make your own using plaster of Paris and paint) and wax to choose from. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so amused that scrunchies are coming back into vogue. Might as well capitalize on that! Best wishes on raising more funds for the girls' mission trips and on tackling that cupboard (I vote for painting it, for sure)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great quilt rack. He is talented! Who knew that scrunchies would be a thing again LOL Good luck with fundraising.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow you have been busy! And I have been neglecting my blog reading! 😝. I can’t believe the scrunches are back. What a fun idea!
    I am also very jealous of your quilt rack! It is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The quilt rack your husband made is beautiful! I saw a floor quilt rack that I thought was the coolest one I had ever seen. I bet your husband could design a pattern from the picture. I will email the pictures to you. I would love for him to make and sell a few.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!