Friday, January 18, 2019

It Was a Magic Moon . . .

on that blue and violet mysterious night.

The moon gazed down at the majestic moose grazing in the shallows.


The night was so still, music could be heard coming from the cozy, firelit cabin across the lake.


It was one of those mystical nights where imagination takes flight and whisks you away to just about anywhere you want to be.  And the magic is enhanced when those Northern Lights appear!


OK, so I"m getting a little bit carried away with the flights of fancy but I am beyond thrilled about what is taking shape here.  THIS is a panel that I bought a while ago with a different project in mind which never happened.   So it has been languishing in my stash.  Until . . . I noticed that the colors matched my son, Morgan's quilt perfectly!   So this panel . . .

with this magical scene that looks straight out of Alaska is going on the back of his quilt and the fabric I showed above really is called Northern Lights looks as if it was MEANT to go with this panel.  I bought the panel at Sleepy Hollow Quilt Shop here in Idaho (it's called Moose Creek Lake by Pippa Moon for studiofabrics.com) and the Northern Lights fabric by Liz Goodrick-Dillon was purchased from Mystic Sunset Fabrics on Etsy.  Even the name of the store fit in with the whole magical twilight scene we've got going on here.  I am not affiliated with any of these, I just like to give credit where credit is due!  And sometimes when I am reading a blog and I'd like to know where they got their fabric, they don't say!  So just in case anybody likes Alaskan scenes, there ya go.

I'm not sure why, but it took me FOREVER to get going on this but I finally got the back pieced . . .

And hopefully tomorrow I can start basting it to this . . . My son loves blue in case you didn't guess.

Oh!  Almost forgot.  This Saturday will be our third monthly meeting of the Owyhee Mountain Quilters!  I'm so looking forward to that!  I'll try to remember to take pictures this time.

So that's my latest progress.  What are you working on this weekend?  

Linking to:




14 comments:

  1. that's a very pretty panel, really nice. this weekend I hope to do a little more work on the mystery quilt, some organizing still and maybe a block for the RSC challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really drew me in with the story. The Northern Lights fabric is gorgeous. I am sure you will combine it with the moose in the midnight panel beautifully. Tell your son, that he is a lucky man. He should give his mom an extra hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great panel. It looks amazing on the back. Have fun at your meeting this weekend. I'm trying to catch up on WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a striking quilt! I love the blues and the simplicity of the design, but the colors of the fabrics really bring it to life. The backing is wonderful, too. Have fun at your meeting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice! You painted a wonderful scene and I was going right along with you. I could smell the faint wood scent in the air, and could hear the gentle ripples in the water before the moose went crashing in to it. HOW fabulous this looks as the backing of your son's quilt. I know I guy that would just adore the panel itself, so thank you for sharing the names of it and the Northern Lights fabric. Having experienced them myself, the fabric really does represent the Northern Lights very well. I am usually one of those bloggers that is remiss about giving fabric details. I usually figure no one really cares . . . so if you ever want to know something like that on my blog, please just ask!! The blue quilt for your son is just fabulous, even beyond the pieced back! I know he will enjoy it and feel all the love you sewed into it. ~smile~ Roseanne
    P.S. You really do have a way with words - maybe you should consider writing a book?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT!!! Is going to be amazing!! That Blue quilt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty awesome, Janice! How large is the transparency quilt top? It looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you were really creative with your story-telling, and just in time for this weekend's lunar eclipse, too! What a great idea to use that for the back of your son's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an excellent job of incorporating an appropriate theme into the fabric panel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good panel, and this one is perfect for your son's quilt! He'll love it, I'm sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That panel was made for this quilt! I have an Alaska wall hanging that I've been meaning to make forever--bought the pattern on my Alaskan honeymoon. I could have bought a panel and been done much sooner, haha! I hope your son loves his quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always magical when you find just the right fabric to go with something else that came from the stash. Love all the blues in your sons quilt. Congrats on the almost finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the feeling when you find just the right project for a long-stashed fabric. Good luck quilting this up!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!