Thursday, October 1, 2020

Indecisive Me! Please Advise!

So this is the quilt top that I made to go with a vintage piece of 1950's nursery rhyme fabric that I found.  You know the one that my daughter thought was creepy?  Yes, I can see her point, but I have always been fascinated by past designs and motifs in spite of their creep factor.


Here is the "creepy" fabric I will be putting on the back of it.  

I will be donating this quilt to our church for an upcoming auction.

Anyway, as is very common with me I can't decide how I should quilt this.  I am thinking I will keep the thread color white or off white but what design?  Stipple?    I have taken work off today and tomorrow to be able to work on projects like this so I hope one of you jump starts me with just the perfect idea.  

GUESS WHAT?

I finished sewing together my king size log cabin quilt that I have been making for our bedroom!  I don't make big quilts and I don't finish very many so this is huge huge huge for me!  It is at the long arm quilters right now.  There is no way I could quilt this one on my DSM.  I guess it can be done as I've read about others who do, but I have no desire.  UGH!  Wrestling is not my favorite.  I can't wait to show you.  She said it will be 5-6 weeks. 

DRESDEN BLOCKS
I have never made a Dresden block before so have been fiddling around with a ruler I just bought.  The flower petal part of the Dresden goes together really quickly.   I need to decide on a center for this one.



Same for this one.  I am auditioning this pink polka dot but not sure if it's too bright with the rest of these colors.

I'm not so sure about the next part.  Sewing it down onto a square.  I'm definitely open to hearing any tips you may have about sewing a Dresden!

Another project I have been playing with is a QAL being led by Lori at Humble Quilts.  It's going to be a very small mini quilt.  She named it Fifty Shades of Brown.  So far it is a checkerboard of brown four patches and 2 1/2 inch brown squares in between those.  I don't think I'm very good at picking out fabrics for this one because it looks like a hot mess!  She advised us to put four squares of pink and two of blue (or whatever colors we wanted) mixed in with them.  So I did, but it still just hasn't grabbed me yet.  I haven't sewn anything together because I might redo some of the blocks.  I am hoping whatever we are supposed to do with the borders is going to tame this down a bit!



In studying this a bit I think one of my problems is that I have included several fabrics that are mostly brown but do have other colors in them as well.  I might need to eliminate those.  I also noticed that my solid squares are a lot busier than Lori's so I might need to rethink those too.  I sure would like to see the inspiration quilt to get a better idea what this is supposed to look like.

Anyway, quilting ideas for my creepy quilt.  I'd love to hear them!!   

Linking to:







6 comments:

  1. Well, your creepy quilt isn't creepy on the front! I think it's really sweet! Someone's going to love it. I've been working on the 50 Shades of Brown QAL, too, and I think mine is also a bit busy with the different browns, but I'm just going to stick with it because it's so small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think your quilt is creepy at all! The fabric reminds me of the 'Dick and Jane' books from my childhood. As for how to quilt it - I'm by no means a sane quilter so that escapes me. My original thought is to simply stitch in the ditch but not sure how much space is between the 'ditches' and it may be too much. Not much help am I!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dresdens! I like the bright pink center. I made Dresdens for the first time this year (not posted yet, still a secret project) and my tip for sewing them down is use a glue stick! Personally, I like the Elmer's school glue disappearing purple. Warning, it's a dark purple so you'll think you ruined it, but you didn't. I glued my Dresdens where I wanted them, let them sit for about 20 minutes, then stitched them down. The gluestick isn't wet at all and I didn't have any problems with gum or sticky on my needle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you've been able to finish you creepy quilt quilting. You have to wonder at some of those older fabric designs. Your Dresden plate turned out beautifully, the bright pink really works as the center. Sorry I'm too late to offer any thoughts on those path forwards, but looking forward to seeing what you decided on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both front and back of your creepy quilt! Really turned out cute. How did you quilt it?
    I wish I could have participated in the 50 Shades of Brown, but we were going crazy during September and the first part of October. Actually we're still going crazy - can't unpack until the house is painted!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!