Sunday, September 8, 2019

Birth of a Unicorn

This story begins with a gift of a charm pack of purple and green fabrics given to me by my daughter-in-law.  Little did I know what that would lead to!

I didn't really have a plan, other than to make something for my favorite purple lover.  She happens to be my granddaughter, Illaya.

I recently made this quilt for her sister BettyMae.  


I loved how that one turned out so much that I decided to try and make a purple version.  Well, that was the plan anyway!  I started turning those charm packs into 9 patches.  These squares are 2 1/2" inches unfinished.  I ended up with twelve of these.  All different.


So then I started searching for some nice purple border fabric to go with it. and found this pretty purple floral stripe fabric  by Maywood Studios.

If I was going to make a quilt like the other one, I still needed some small purple floral to go in between the 9 patches.  We (Illaya's mom and I) never did find something we just totally loved so I was getting tired of this project not going anywhere and decided I was going to cut apart the white floral strip and use it as sashing.  So this is what I did next . . .

It was meant to be!  
I only had about 6 inches of this white stripe left after adding the sashing.

Then I added the wide purple strip around the edges . . .

At this point, I realized that it would probably look a little strange if I added any more to it so decided to stop right there.  This is going to be a pretty small quilt.  Illaya isn't a baby anymore but she is still pretty young so a small size will still work.  At this point it measures 47 x 39.

Now . . . time to decide what goes on the back.  It does help to do the searching along with the mommy.  She spied this panel and said it was perfect as Illaya has a fondness for unicorns.  A very non-traditional choice for a quilt back but I'm going for it!  Oh the fun stories I can tell her inspired by this picture!  And it's got some lovely purples and lilacs and greens in it so will work very nicely as a back.  For not having a specific plan, things are working out pretty good so far!

 And the panel will fit on the back with just a little bit of border added to it.  Color works, size works, this is meant to be!


Now to figure out how to get it up to size.  I was thrilled to find two fat quarters in my own Etsy store!  (I recently bought somebody else's destash for resale but will probably end up using them myself!)  These two fabrics have the most beautiful blues and must have come from the same design line as they both have shiny gold accents in them.


I cut them both into 2 1/2" strips and sewed the strips together to border the unicorn panel.   It's almost like they were meant to be together!  And yet another sign this was meant to be.  The strips were the perfect length to fit two on each side with just a tiny bit to spare.


Don't you just love it when things fall together so perfectly??


  I ended up with enough border fabric to wrap a around a nine patch block to make a little matching pillow.  Now I just need to find some binding fabric and probably use the same fabric for the back of the pillow.  



Illaya's birthday is in October so I've got a few weeks to get this quilted and finish the pillow.  Hopefully, the next time you see this quilt it will be wrapped around a smiling little girl!  My this has been the most satisfying project!


Linking to:

17 comments:

  1. Boy you gals sure had your thinking caps on and it paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is perfect together. Love the story of how this came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty quilt and I LOVE the unicorn back, I know another little girl who is unicorn crazy. Another lovely finish Janice, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice! I love reading about a project that was meant to be and inspired from the start. I am 100% certain that your granddaughter will just adore this. How could she not?! It was meant to be just for her from the inception. She'll be cuddling under your love in no time. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt is a little girls dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to use that fun panel as the backing! She's going to ADORE that quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to read the thought process behind this quilt. Perfect for a little girl. Let us know how she likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how things just work out sometimes. One thing lead to another and like magic you have a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great use of the border prints and the panel. I love how you framed it! What a cute pillow as well. I like how you piece it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that floral stripe as sashing!!! Brilliant! And every part of this was meant to be! Lucky birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out great with the unicorn backing panel. What little girl wouldn't love that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will be a double sided quilt!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember when you started on this quilt. What a fun finish! Love the front and the back. The unicorns are definitely inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet! She’ll love it because it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!