Sunday, February 17, 2019

Please Help Me Decide

Time for me to ask for opinions!  Will you help me? I have decisions to make!

Please pardon the sloppy look of this block, it's not sewn together yet.  😊  As most of you already know, I am participating in Sarah Fielke's 2019 Block of the Month.

I LOVE hearing other's opinions on fabric choices.  Yes, I know it is MY quilt and yes, I will end up doing the way I like best,  but sometimes other peoples insights about how they would do something sparks an idea I hadn't thought of before so I hope you'll humor me.   In other words, you inspire me!

Following are pictures of my Sarah Fielke Block of the Month stuck up on the design wall in pieces.   I got my first decision made with the help of Instagram friends!  I was choosing whether to do a lighter green between the inner houses like this . . .

Or dark green like this . . .

I think I'm going to go with the dark green; however, should I use the dark green solid as shown?  Or the dark green print that is being used with the circles?

OK, that's the first decision.

Second one is regarding the canteloupe colored fabric in the corners.  I cut some alternate pieces with black and pink for two of the corners and here is how that half of the block looks.  Do you like the black or the canteloupe better or would you suggest a whole NEW color?


Keep in mind that this block is only the center of a medallion quilt using this design so some of the colors may feel like they don't belong, but they will be used again later in the quilt.


So yes, I am asking you to be co-designers with me!  These pieces aren't that big so if you have a color to try, I'm willing to try it.  I'm having fun with this block and am looking forward to sewing it all together for the first round of this Block of the Month.

Also, I completely forgot to share something I got in the mail not too long ago from my "pen pal" in the UK.  Kate Heads.  I guess she's technically an e-mail pal.  She is a sweetie and she sent me two house blocks out of the blue!  I was soooo excited!  I have two more blocks to finish a four by four layout and then I will decide whether I want to make one more row or not.   Here they are . . .

Love the colorful purples and cute calicos!


Thank you, Kate!  You made my day!!!!!!!!!!  Love you, girl!

OK, I am excitedly waiting to hear LOTS of opinions and ideas!  
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Linking to:

16 comments:

  1. That’s a really lovely block, Janice. It really looks like spring time, which we can use right now. I think either of the first two choices would work well, but the black floral on the corners would be distracting from the central part of the block, just too strong. In the first layout the two different pale green fabrics are a nice combination together, giving it more variety without being too busy. I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Paula, I prefer the orange to the black. I also prefer the solid green to the patterned as it gives more definition to the star. I love your circles, the purple would look lovely in the second round, perhaps as the star. It’s a lovely colourful block Janice and so you, I look forward to seeing what comes next. I’m so glad you like the house blocks, I used fabrics I thought you might like and it was a pleasure to make them for you. Love you too, you enrich my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dark solid green(gives the eye a bit of a rest) and keep the cantaloupe. I love the cantaloupe! This is going to be so pretty when done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the swirly green for the sky, to distinguish it from the solid green of the ground. It would look like trees that way. You could also consider using a blue so it is more of a sky color.

    As for the corners, either cantaloupe or black would work - just depends on how dark you want that center block to look. I personally like the black better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janice, that is such a neat SAL you're working on! Wow, and you're asking our opinions?! I love the green solid. And I think the black print makes the corner houses stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll throw a wrench in the works and suggest the swirly green instead of the lighter green or the solid green. Then use the lighter green as the background for the circles. And keep the canteloupe. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving all this input, keep it coming!! I hope to sew up this block in the next few days or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the solid darker green. Good like. I sonmtimes hate making decisions. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the darker green and the cantaloupe. Either solid green or patterned green. Those are great houses!!! Can't wait to see that one together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the solid green, but the print would work as well. I actually like the cantaloupe. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before I read the other comments, I'll give you mine!! Go with the green swirl fabric...it ties the block together, along with the pinks. I would stay with the cantaloupe colored fabric - the black print weighs the block down. It is a springy block and the cantaloupe color fits that well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer the solid dark green. Your second question - I'm not sure! Love those two gifted house blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Janice -- you are giving me such NewFO Envy!! I love Sarah Fielke's designs and your block is looking fantastic! I think you're right on track with your decisions so far. I love the dark green in the center, would keep that one solid b/c I feel like mixing in solids helps to balance those fabulous prints. Print fabrics are like divas in the opera -- you can't put too many of them too close to one another or they will end up fighting over who gets center stage! I would also leave the cantaloupe, since, as you mentioned, these colors will be repeated elsewhere in the quilt. I don't think anything is looking out of place in your block anyway -- I can envision where you're headed with this BOM and it looks so amazing in my mind that it's all I can do to remind myself that I have only 3 months to piece AND quilt my son's graduation quilt... No new projects for me until after graduation! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m late to the discussion here. I’m not going to weigh in on what colors or fabric patterns I like best. What I do think is important, though, is to choose the colors you like best, and then instead of looking at the fabrics in color, look at them in gray tones to see how the values look together. Then you can choose the values of your chosen colors to emphasize the parts of your quilt that you want to stand out the most. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weighing in.....I think the green print and the pink print for the houses (picks up the roof and door colour). The canteloupe was really distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Susan, the green print and the pink print. What very fun house blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!