Saturday, July 28, 2018

Stash Reduction Continued

I shared the big red squares I cut out last time to participate in the RSC color red this month.  All by themselves, they are pretty boring.  They are "old" red. 


Thanks to Louise at My Quilt Odyssey's great suggestion, the collection of old red is being livened up with some turquoise sashing.


I thought it needed something more and I got a lot of great suggestions from all of you (piano keys, mixing new reds with old reds, improv, scrappy improv, flying geese, funky geometrics, large floral)  and I am definitely going to be trying a variety of them in future "stash reduction" quilts.   Since I was hoping for this quilt top to be a fairly quick finish, I think I'm going to go with a big piece I have in my stash and not do a lot of piecing.  It's kind of a mix between the "new" reds and the "funky geometric".    I'm feeling lazy this week, can you tell?

What do you think of this?  This print is so bright and colorful, I just love it. I've kind of been hoarding it for a long time with absolutely no idea what I was going to do with it but I think it really helps give this "old red" quilt some life, don't you?




I hope the next time I post, I'll at least have a finished quilt top to show you.  And THEN you know I'll be asking advice about binding and backing so be ready to brainstorm!  Love my online mentors!!

While I had my red scraps out I decided to make another house block too!


This one doesn't look quite as modern as the other three.  But I'm thinking I don't mind that.



Linking to:


17 comments:

  1. Love the houses! My guild has a box block exchange where you get a different box each month with the owner's fabric and you make the same block for everyone. I chose Lori Holts cute house block with scalloped roof and have gotten quite good at it after six of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That border fabric is perfect! It even has the same blue tones as your sashing. Have fun with the houses - such a great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that border is fun! I am really liking your scrappy red quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your reds--what about black&White for the borders...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janice! Great selection on the border. It matches the red and the turquoise perfectly and kind of draws it all out. I can see why you saved it - and it's time to bring it out and use it. Perfecto! Happy Sunday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turquoise sashing was brilliant! Looks great! And your border fabric does set it off nicely. I do love your RSC houses!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love the house blocks! Great job Janice! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go for it! It was made to border that quilt! Your house blocks look amazing. The red one is fine! A lot of us are in the stash busting frame of mind this year. I hear ''I’m jsing what I have'' over and over again. I’m also in that mode, and it’s kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Jsing'? Ha, ha! Spotted that just as I clicked the publish button! I meant using, of course.

      Delete
  9. That geometric is PERFECT! Wow! And you had that in your stash? That's what I call serendipity. The wavy stripey-ness of it kinda combines the idea of piano keys with funkadelic fun. Love it, love it! And your little red house looks great with all the other colors. It's a rainbow neighborhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fabric was saved for just the right moment. It brings so much life to the top. Red is a hard color to work with because there is not very much tonal range to give variety. Your houses are really cute and each adds a nice touch. I like the star in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your border print Janice, it is so you and looks wonderful with the blocks. A great new house too,you have been working hard, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect choice for the border Janice. I love it - it adds a really fun vibe to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great way to jazz up the old tired reds! I have some of those in my stash too. I love the border, so why not bring the turquoise out for the binding too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to clean out some of your less favored scraps. The red and teal is a beautiful color combination. The house turned out very cute too.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!