Monday, June 11, 2018

Ashley's Next Quilt Design

I've been playing hooky from quilting for a little bit but finally got going again.  Here is the next design  motif I've been working on for Ashley's quilt.  I've always liked the look of scallops so I decided to try it freehand.  Not as perfect as using a drawn design, but not too bad in spite of the bobbles and it covers territory quickly!

Recently, I shared a request for scraps with a black or dark background.  Do you want to see what I'm making with them?  The black scraps are being cut into random size strings and the strings are being sewn together to make slabs like this . . .


The slabs are being used to make a design from Amanda Jean's book "No Scrap Left Behond"  and this is the quilt I will be making.  This is a picture of a picture so the colors aren't very accurate but you get the idea.


I will be using a solid cheddar gold color where the green squares appear in Amanda's quilt . . .



I auditioned lots of different ideas for the cornerstone pieces . . .




I wasn't really excited about any of those.  I finally found something I like but I will leave that for a surprise to show you after I get more slabs made.  I want to give a shout out to Janine at Quilts from the Little House and Nicole from Handwrought Quilts for sending me some colorful scraps with a black background.  Oh!  I almost forgot!  I won a pink scrap giveaway from Mari at Academic Quilter.  When I got the package I found she had also included some black scraps for my project.  Thank you, Mari, Janine and Nicole!  Quilty friends are the best!

In other "color" adventures, here are a few photos I took this week.  
So much fun and colorful photography material during spring!




 I have always been a collector at heart and I have developed a new attraction to miniature floral oil paintings.  I would like to create a small collage of these and here is what I have so far.  These are currently sitting in a bookshelf until I have collected enough to make a collage on the wall.  I found both of these at an antique store.  One of them for $5! The one on the left was more but I had to have it because I really liked the frame.   I am having fun being on the lookout for these.

I recently went on a trip to see my sister's youngest son gradate from high school.  Congratulations Dane!  Here he is with his three siblings and one brother-in-law!

While I was visiting, my sister took pity on me (sewing withdrawals) and dug out one of her UFO's and let me work on it for her!  It was a wall hanging that she and I had started together about 15 years ago.  I helped her choose fabric and she got a few blocks sewn.  That's pretty much all that got done.   She got out her sewing machine and let me finish piecing it!

The picture below shows the color we chose for the binding.


That yellow plaid drove me nuts as it is not printed straight!  I now have this project at home with me ready to baste and bind.  I'd like to have that done for my sis before she brings her oldest son back to school at the university where I work.

And to end today's blog post, I have to show off my granddaughters.  They are the CUTEST!!  Not that I am biased or anything (grin).  My daughter-in-law has a sister who is a self-taught photographer and very talented if I do say so myself.  




Aren't they stinkin' cute!!?  



Linking to:
Quilting is More Fun than Housework
Love, Laugh Quilt
Cooking Up Quilts
Bambi's Show & Tell Monday
Tish's Adventures in Wonderland

12 comments:

  1. Blogger has been having issues with e-mail notifications getting to us bloggers so we can respond in a timely way. Also, unless you have commented before, I won't have any way to respond to you unless you include your e-mail in your comment. Hope that's fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do I send those black scraps? decoratorcarol@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pic's of your GD's. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, pretty stinkin' cute, if I do say so myself! Lots of fun projects you have going on lately. Nice to get that old, old UFO finished and on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granddaughters are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scallops! I've never tried that motif and now I want to try :) I wondered if that was what the black scraps were for. I really like that pattern and am glad you're going to make it. You'll get my scraps eventually, ha!

    And yes, your grand daughters are the cutest by far :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much to enjoy in your post, especially your darling grandkids. The black pieces are terrific. Makes me want to do them also. I've always liked black backgrounds best. Those flower photos are gorgeous. You must have a fine camera or phone. And I admire those framed flowers, becuae I have a whole wall of antique family photos specially framed, including a pair of frames like crossed sticks with carved leaves on the corners. Good hunting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are my favorite sort of blog posts. I really like when I am given the opportunity to know something about the writer's family. Yours sounds wonderful. I love that your sister "let" you finish her UFO. Ah, she is a wise one. Your grand daughters are gorgeous - adorable - really, really cute! Do you get to see them often? Also love your tiny florals. What a fun collectible.
    Finally, love your take on the scrappy quilt pattern. I have that book and love every project in it. I have one started but no where near completion. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those sweeties! This was such a neat post to read because it was one fun tidbit after another. Glad those black scraps are working out for you. I love that quilt pattern (and the whole book, really). In suspense here about the cornerstones! I’m glad you could spend some time away celebrating with your family, but yeah, that twitchy quilting withdrawal feeling is a problem. Your sister knew what she was doing giving you that UFO to finish. It’s so cute. You’re both winners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your inspiration on Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing what you're using the scraps for. Glad I could help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those clam shells are rockin! I'm asking myself over here why I've never tried using them before. I'm glad to see you are getting to help this UFO land :) That binding fabric will look wonderful framing the quilt. Your granddaughters are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!