Tuesday, April 2, 2019

You Gotta See These Yellow Diamonds!


Yes, I am talking about yellow diamonds but not the kind you might think.  Darn!  This would have made a good April Fool's post.  Too bad I didn't think of that yesterday.

Yes,  as you might have guessed I really am talking about fabric yellow diamonds.  Remember that big fabric haul I won at an auction a few weeks ago?  I am going to share with you one of the treasures found in that purchase.  The lady who owned all that fabric was a prolific quilter but as all of us can relate, she started projects that got abandoned.   This is one of them.


A HUGE pile of  60 degree yellow diamonds measuring 6 inches on each side!  That stack you are looking at measures 8 1/2 inches tall.   I started counting them but when I got to 50, which didn't even make a half inch pile, I quit.  Basically, there are hundreds of them.   

I decided to sort them all out by same fabrics and discovered 
that there are 30 different fabrics represented here.

Some piles only have a few and some have oodles.  So what is a girl to do with a pile of diamonds?  
PLAY!!

 You'll notice that some of these diamonds are not playing nicely with the others as they are too big.  A few of these got cut  a half inch bigger than all the others.

Let's try a star.  I can envision a yellow starbursts pattern happening . . .

How about bigger diamonds!


Chevrons?

How about hexies?  Ooo!  That might be fun!  A chance to practice Y-seams.


So when I first got these I tried to sew a few of them together with  not a lot of success.  I couldn't get those edges to line up nicely. 

 I finally figured out you can't just match up the points and sew, you have to offset them.  I still couldn't get it right.  I happened to see that Katy of the Katy Quilts blog was working on a project with diamonds so I asked her for some tips on how to sew them together in nice straight rows.  She said she would do a blog post about it.  So she did! Here is a link to her Sewing Diamonds Tutorial Thanks Katy!  Your tutorial really helped!

MUCH BETTER!

So I've been playing but I have no idea what I am going to do with all these diamonds.  I think it would make a really fun girly baby quilt for a flower lover.  After just finishing a fairly large project, I am up for something smaller!  What would YOU do with these diamonds??

Linking to:


16 comments:

  1. Oh what a great find!!!! You'd better join in on the all about diamonds blog hop now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I did a diamond quilt I put sashing in between. http://knitbug2.blogspot.com/2012/06/ruler-work.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diamonds are a girl's best friend :) I really like the star flower idea. But I would totally chicken out at Y seams and just applique them onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a good tutorial - I always have to line them up just right too and you have to think about it not just do mindless sewing

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic find! And thank you for the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You persevered!!! You succeeded. Beautiful points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen
    How fun!! Someone did all the cutting for you and you get to play! I like the bigger diamond idea but then you'd have to figure out how to add sashing. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Kathleen:
    Janice, I just went to file Katy's tutorial in my computer and found I had another idea saved for working with diamonds. Check here:
    https://sometimescrafter.com/2015/04/patchwork-diamond-tutorial/

    I hope you get this. I can't comment with google because it keeps coming back to me with a mailer daemon. I have to use anonymous.
    kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  9. darn . . . I clicked google by mistake - I hope it still shows for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So love the star look! I changed my setting, so hopefully you can see me now. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oo, I love diamond shapes! But I'm not a big fan of Y seams. I did a table runner with Y seams and that was plenty for me. So I'd stick with the bigger diamonds and maybe sash them together with something that plays nicely with yellow. Navy blue, perhaps? What a great find for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, after checking out the link that Kathleen provided, I can see some kind of a log cabin design with at least some of your diamonds!!! You are going to have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are really charming diamonds. I like the way you’re setting them in rows and then together. It’s a lot easier than trying to do tumbling block, which really does best with EPP. The star is also very attractive. Good luck with this fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such good information on that tutorial! When being gifted blocks or cuts that someone did, ALWAYS CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE PARTS ARE ALL THE RIGHT SIZE! That issue has caused great frustration for so many. And sometimes even our early work, when set aside we later realize how off we were then, if we find something and decide to finish it later when we know so much more about our love of quilt making.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have fun playing with your diamonds. Can't wait to see what you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It will be great to see what you land on for your diamonds! Thank you for the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!