Friday, April 20, 2018

Sweet Dreams

I absolutely fell in love with this very girly, very feminine baby quilt and immediately had to make it for my granddaughter.   It is a kit called Sweet Dreams from Shabby Fabrics.   Besides being so girly, one of the other things I love about it was that it came complete with fabric for the binding AND the backing

I am amazed at how fast it is coming together.  I started it last weekend and  might get it totally quilted and bound this weekend.  I'm so excited about that!  I am actually FINISHING stuff!  And I'm proud to say the first thing I made before I stitched anything else was the binding.  Who is it that has taken possession of my body?  So unlike me!  Isn't this red gingham just perfect?


I had some super wonderful help in the decision making about how to quilt it but I'll tell you all about that on the "finish" post.  So far, I've quilted the strips with the gingham 9 patches and floral squares.  Just the in between strips and the borders left to quilt.

I took a scrap of the leftover fabric and practiced quilting feathers on it.  I was a little rusty on the scrap practice . . .


so I decided I'd better practice some more on paper.

I think I'm going to go for it.  So hopefully this weekend, I'll finish the quilting and enjoy hand sewing on the binding.

So now that this Sweet Dreams quilt is almost done, I need to make another one for sister!  Her favorite color is purple and mom would like one very similar in style to Sweet Dreams.   But wouldn't you know it, purple floral fabric in this traditional style is EXTREMELY hard to find!  I could find the purple gingham with no trouble but the floral is elusive.  My daughter-in-law and I were searching for fabric and of everything we found this is her favorite one but it was sold out.   So I am hoping someone with a big stash might be willing to sell me or trade with me if they have anything remotely resembling the two fabrics shown below.  If you know anybody that might have something, please please send them my direction!

What is your favorite online fabric store?


 Last but not least,  I have decided I do enjoy quilting on my Bernina, but I do not enjoy doing a large quilt or even a lap size quilt on my machine.  I don't like the wrestling!  I am going to start saving my pennies for a sit-down long arm machine.  So dear quilting friends, I know some of you have these machines or know someone who has one.  Can I get some feedback about what you like or dislike about your particular machine?  I'm drawn to the Tin Lizzie, Juki, and HQ Sweet 16.   Any other ideas?

I'm off to do some feathers!  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Linking to:

Busy Hands Quilting
Crazy Mom Quilts
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop
UFO Busting #16

12 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I look forward to seeing the purple version...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawthorne Threads has a color grid - just select your color choice and it brings up fabrics that it sells to match. You might find something to work there. http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/colors/by_grid Your feathers are looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feathers are looking fine! Perfect way to quilt your roses :) And I *adore* those purple rose fabrics! I'll keep my eyes peeled on eBay for you. The only purple floral I have in my stash is tiny, abstract violets. I'm happy to share that, but I don't think that's quite what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Dreams is looking very dreamy! The purple rose fabric is gorgeous. If I see any newer lines that are similar, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good, Janice! Even those practice feathers look mighty fine! Good luck finding some fabric! Wish I could help. I don’t have a mid arm but LINDA over at Scrapmaster has a Pfaff Powerquilter 16.0 and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom did a review of a mid arm, I think, so you might want to go there for her thoughts. If you don't find the purple floral print you're looking for, maybe look at using some Liberty of London prints?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt is so swcute et. I love the floral and gingham together. I’ve never bought a kit but I can see the appeal, having it all worked out ahead of time. Hope you find just what you need for the purple project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a darling quilt! Good luck with the Quilting, also finding fabric. I checked fabric.com, no luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable quilt. Awesome that the kit came with all the fabric needed. Good luck with quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janice,
    A certain friend sent me over to see what you were quilting on how - I was eager to see. Such a sweet quilt for a special granddaughter. Oh so girly! I do not have anything in my stash to be able to help you, but those flowers and red gingham go together so nicely. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your practice feathers are beautiful!!! You're ready to go, girl!!! The borders and sashing on your quilt are so adorable. Any luck on the purple floral fabrics? I'll check at our shop when I work again. As for a longarm, mine is the stand-up, move the machine type. I know Sandi Irish has the exact same machine on a stationary table and she loves quilting like that. APQS George.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I'm in love with this quilt and probably just as excited as you are to see it finished :) I'll keep my eyes open for purple flora fabric. The florals in the picture, do you actually have those?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!