Thursday, October 5, 2017

Guess What I'm Going to Do With This?

As you know, I just recently moved into a my forever home (yes, I will have future posts with pictures, hang in there!).  As I was unpacking,  I found 10 orphan blocks that I had started sewing together years ago and never did anything with them.  My intention was to make a scrappy round the world quilt.  I've kind of moved on to other things and I don't think that is going to happen; however, I am not going to let these blocks go to waste!


So I found a fun little project that I am going to use these. for that's just slightly different than what you're probably used to seeing on quilting blogs.  Can anybody guess?

OK, I won't make you guess.  I am going to take this nasty old card table . . .

do this to the legs . . .


Sew my blocks together to cover the top . . .


And last but not least, sew some sides to cover up the ugly old hinges.  So dear quilt friends out in blogland, here is where you come in.  My plan is to cut about six inch strips to hang down on each side of the table so it will be kind of like a box valance.   I would love to hear suggestions on what color fabric you would use and how you would finish it.  This little project is going to give an ugly card table new life,  brighten up my quilt room, and give me a little more table top space for either setting my laptop or maybe this will be where I keep my rulers.  We shall see!

P.S.  I'm going to paint that ugly old filing cabinet in the background a pretty color too one of these days.  I want LOTS of color in this sewing room!



Linking to:


14 comments:

  1. Great idea! And I like the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! What a great way to breath life into both projects. I'm not much help because I'm not use what I would use for the borders. I think at this point anything goes :) It just a fun project, full of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cute - such a great idea and no one will no what it had been before or what it looked like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black! Won't clash with the legs and will go with everything on the top. And it will make your table look taller, rather than smaller (which is what a print or colour would do). Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Nicole. Black , or more checkerboards to match the legs. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea Janice!!! So clever and colorful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! This project is ingenious. LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. It’s so bright and happy. I would use a black and white print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat idea! I agree-- black or black and white check would be fun for the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I have a table like that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so clever! I think a solid would be best for your sides. I wouldn't want to take away from the top that is so cheerful! I think I would look into using a deep red that goes with the reds on the top. I love how red goes with the black and while legs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to use up those orphan blocks. Hmm, I really like blue, so that would probably be my go too color for the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I completely relate to your blog. Just this week I found eleven round the world blocks -- almost identical to yours. Now I know what I'm going to do with them. I have an old ottoman that needs a cover . . . what a grand idea! Thanks. Have a blessed holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!