Thursday, May 18, 2017

Do You Need Something Quilted?

I will tell you in a little bit why I asked that question.  It will be worth it, I promise!  I have to tell you this story first.  It's all related.  

See this gorgeous little quilt?  This was pieced by Vicki of Vicki's Crafts and Quilting.  When I saw it, I REALLY REALLY wanted it.  I have only been quilting on my own for a year now but so far, every quilt I've made and quilted has been for someone else.  I have no quilts of my own!   And I'm not seeing any time in the near future where I will be able to make one.  Now don't you think it is a shame for a quilter not to have any quilts?  ME TOO!

So I bought it!  My intention was to quilt it myself so I could at least say I had done that much, but again.  It is not looking like I'll find time any time soon.  


Aren't these fabrics just gorgeous?

Yummy, yummy colors!


Anyway, back to the story . . . one day I happened to be chatting with Jen Strauser of Dizzy Quilter who is right smack dab in the middle of starting a new quilting business.  Yay for entrepreneurs!  I love having adventurous friends!  I asked her teasingly if she needed any quilts to practice on and she said she does!  She is offering to quilt something for the first ten people who express interest for only $50 (queen or under).  $75 if it is king size.  So I am going to send her this quilt to quilt for me!

How special is that?  Not only will I finally have a quilt of my own, but I will have a quilt made by a blogging friend in Minnesota and quilted by another blogging friend in New Jersey!  I am so looking forward to having it to snuggle under!

And yes, I did get permission to "out" her offer before she did.  So if you have any quilts you want quilted for a very reasonable price, give Jen some practice!

And on the quilting front in my own sewing room, I got Cacey's top finished!  Cacey and I need to get together and choose some fabric for the backing and binding.   I will hopefully be starting on Kenzi's quilt next.  Then finish Ashley's  . . . then make one for my son Morgan who graduated several years ago.  I feel so bad for getting to him so late!  I do have the pattern and fabric picked and purchased though.  He has been so patient and telling me not to stress about it.  Thanks, Morgan!  And somewhere in there, finish quilting my mom's quilt too.  (sigh)

On the house front, we just got a full price offer!  Plus they want us to build a shop too.  We have until the end of June to live in the house we're in, and after that, not sure what we'll do.  Probably some kind of RV for a couple months.  I'm trying to imagine how I'm going to sew but I guess if Louise (Quilt Odyssey) can do it in a boat, I should be able to figure out something!  This will be interesting.

State track meet tomorrow!  This young lady is competing in four events in her senior year.  This will be the first state meet that hasn't been freezing cold.  It is supposed to be sunny and warm this weekend.  Yahoo!!


Have a wonderful weekend!

Linking to:




17 comments:

  1. That's a lovely quilt top Vicki made, and the colours are such I'd have thought you chose them yourself. You have your work cut out for you with all your quilting commitments and I'm going to be right behind you cracking the whip. Ashley is so beautiful, good luck to her for the state meet. I hope the sun continues to shine on you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice! Reading this post came at a perfect time for me. I have a quilt top made and have NO time to quilt it! I am interested in having your friend do the job! Should I contact her, or go through you? (Best of luck to your daughter in her 4 events this weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That will make a gorgeous finish. I can't wait to see it all quilted.

    Good luck to your daughter this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can quilt in an RV! I traveled 5 years, full time, with my husband in a 30 ft. 5th wheel, and I quilted all the time. You get creative about a design wall, though. LOL Go for it! I think it's great that you will finally have a quilt for yourself - doesn't matter how you got it. =) As you quilt a few more years, you'll begin to have opportunities to make some just for yourself. Or maybe make a leader-ender project and those blocks become YOURS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! I have read many creative methods used by quilters with small sewing areas and I figure if you're determined enough, quilting can happen! I am going to have to start a leader/ender project. I've had that suggested to me several times and think it's a great idea. I bet it was fun visiting a lot of different quilt shops while you were RV'ing!

      Delete
  5. You are such a sweetheart! Thank you for sharing my info!
    Your housing situation has my head spinning. Congrats on selling your house. Spending time in an RV will be an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on selling your house! You are doing amazing for only quilting for a year. I love to see your quilts. Someday if I get brave I will show you my pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine, You are a no-reply commenter so I'll catch you on Facebook. I am sure your pottery is wonderful! I remember seeing what you made in college! You should start a blog yourself!

      Delete
  7. Hello Janice
    That's fantastic news about your house. Love your new quilt, can't go wrong with Bonnie & Camielle fabric can you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck to Jen on her new business! Offering a discount to stitch up a few practice quilts early on seems like an excellent idea. I like the way she thinks :)

    And congrats to you on the full price house offer...that's fantastic! I'm sure you'll do just fine in an RV, just get one with big slide outs :) I've heard several RV quilting friends talk about using the club house/recreation room in an RV park to do basting, since many of those rooms have tables that can be pushed together.

    Do you follow Jennifer at http://rvquilting.blogspot.com/ ? I'm sure she has more RV-specific tips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, if I had a top ready to send to Jen! Exciting news about the house! And lovely senior pics, she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I didn't even recognize the top when it came up in my feed, LOL I am so happy you are having it quilted and soon will have a quilt all your very own!!! Did you decide to go no border? Can't wait to see what Jen does. Congrats on your house sale! Your daughter is a beauty-good luck to her in the meet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is super cool that you will have a quilt make by Vicki and quilted by Jen! I was drooling over the fabrics, I always love Bonnie and Camille prints. My head is spinning at how quickly you guys sold the house. Does that mean after you figure out your next move, you can start building your dream home? Good luck to your daughter this weekend at her meets. Yay for good weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilt story! Good luck to your young lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! I only have one quilt for myself after 30+ years of quilting, so I can relate! And it's a utility quilt, made from scraps as a leader/ended project. I have been thinking the same thing. A local quilter blogger friend posted a pic awhile back, and I loved it. Then I saw it in person on display, and I loved it even more! I happen to know it's going on sale in a local shop in June, and guess who's seriously thinking of buying it? She told me I can't, because I'm a quilter, and quilters don't buy quilts, they make them, so I may not let her know it was me that scooped that beauty up and brought it home! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on selling your house! And for full price! Exciting times for you. And very busy. I hope everything falls into place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you've had a really busy, but successful week. Your new quilt is gorgeous! Wishing you lots of progress on your graduation quilts. Hope the state track meet went well. Congrats on selling the house! As much fun as all the graduation excitement has been, I'm ready for things to slow down just a bit.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!