Saturday, January 14, 2017

Future New Dorm Quilt

So much for good intentions.  I was going to try and not buy any new fabtric for a while and only do new projects from my stash.  At the same time, I noticed that my stash is pretty dated with mostly traditional fabrics and not a lot of colorful and modern.  So I decided in order to satisfy my fabric buying urges, I would only buy a few new pieces once in a while just to update my stash.

So I bought these fabrics which were on sale:

Guess who wants a quilt using the colors I bought?  My college-bound daughter, Ashley.   It didn't occur to me when I bought these that periwinkle is her favorite color.  Must have been a subconscious thing.  Well it didn't take a lot of convincing for me to start planning a new project.

The pattern I will be making is from Erica at KitchenTableQuilting.com and is called the Betty Quilt.  She said it was named after several women who were influential in her life.  Pretty coincidental that one of Ashley's grandma's is named Betty too:


So I headed back to the store to get some more fabrics and here is the palette I ended up with:


And here are the cut up pieces all ready to sew!


I HAVE to get that heart and chevron quilt quilted this weekend so this is my incentive.  No sewing on this project until I get that quilting done!

Linking to:

15 comments:

  1. Love your fabrics! It's so funny that you inadvertently bought colors your daughter would love. Isnt it funny when you look for things for them everywhere without even realizing it! Lol
    Cant wait to see it, that pattern will be beautiful with your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty fabrics - I bet your daughter will love her new quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Janice, you've got a fun quilting project coming up! It's so hard to come home from the fabric shop without at least one pretty fabric, so I'm glad your daughter talked you into going back for more! She will love it and you'll know that your love will be stitched into every inch of her quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same fabric dilemma but mainly with needing material for backings.
    I would put my dibs on a quilt in the color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabrics. And a great pattern. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oo, great selection of fabrics! This will be an awesome quilt for your daughter :) And I know you're working hard on your green and purple hearts and chevrons, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you know, we have to please our family, so it seems to me you just 'had' to buy some more to make a fun quilt for her! Lovely combo of fabrics. Are they all from the same collection?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pattern Janice and the fabrics are lovely, great movement in them. I hope you finished the chevron quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on a quilt for my son for his college apartment. His is blue and orange with grey...because he's a huge NY Met's baseball fan. My pattern is a modern hashtag, which I'm making up as I go. Great color choices for your daughter and I know it will brighten up her room! elanagoldberg5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is going to be a beautiful quilt! I love the oranges with the periwinkle. Glad I'm not the only one that holds quilting projects over my own head until I finish things I know I need to get done :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those new fabrics are delish! Good luck on getting that other quilt done. Sometimes that is the hardest thing, setting a new, fresh project aside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's going to be a very pretty dorm quilt. Mine heads off to college next year too. She's taking two quilts she has now. I have a feeling there will be a request for one for her dorm mate before it's all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those fabrics will look great in that pattern. I love the blue polka dot fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these are fantastic together. Are they all from the same line, or did you find lots of randoms that coordinated with eachother? And I love the pattern. Of course, now that you're going to use these, you'll have to work some more on building that stash. I'm with you. I really want to build a more modern stash, but whatever I buy keeps getting used up and then I'm left with that Ho-hum traditional stash.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific fabric pull/purchase! Yay for daughters and squirrels...betcha can't resist 'just sewing a couple together, just to see..." voice of experience with the DrEAMi! phenomenon. Thanks so much for linking up with my first linky party! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!