Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Stash Bee Block Accumulation


What do you think of this scrappy accumulation?  I am just putting these blocks on the design wall as they come in and looking forward to playing around with a layout later.  It doesn't look that bad with just this random layout!

HST Scrappy Quilt

I realize this kind of anything-goes scrappy look isn't for everybody, but I am loving all the yummy color!  It just reminds me of how someone might have made a quilt back when quilts were a necessity for a warm bed and made of just about anything.  I love the old-fashioned vibe it has.

And now to show you something that you might think me a little bit crazy.  My apologies to my non-quilting friends who probably won't get this next bit.  I'm talking about what I am using for a leader/ender project.  If you are interested in the story behind this phrase, you can read about it here from the creator herself!

I didn't understand what a leader/ender project was but now that I get it, THIS is what I'm using for my leader/enders.  A box of 1 1/2" squares. Years ago this was mailed to me for joining the Keepsake Quilting club.  Swatches of all the fabrics that were available from them that particular year.  I couldn't just throw them out!

First I will sew them all into pairs and when I get that done, I'll start sewing the pairs into cute little four patches.  These finish at 2 inches square.    After that, not sure!  16 patches?  Or just leave them small and cute to be incorporated into a quilt.  We shall see!


After taking a poll about a fabric choice I needed to make (if you missed that post, you can read it here), there was no CLEAR winner.  The top three choices were the red mottled center, the gold with red dot, and the green plaid.  I am going with the gold with red dot. 


I love hearing from you guys so thank you!!  You made the decision process fun!
Linking to:
Free Motion by the River

17 comments:

  1. Nice. I see all these scrap quilts and am envious because I don't do well with scrap quilts.They don't look as harmonious as this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scrap quilts and yours will be gordius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scrap quilts and totally get it and love that you have that box from Keepsake to use

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the crazy quilt. It reminds me of one my grandmother made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bee blocks are really looking great together! Like one big, crazy family :)

    I'm also doing little squares as leader/enders these days, but mine are only 2.5", not tiny 1.5" like yours! I've been stuffing scrap squares in a box for a while and the box is getting full, so it must be ready to become a project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blocks look great! I may have to make something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Random, scrappy really speaks to me. I love your bee blocks all together! They will make a beautiful quilt. I’ve been making leader/Ender projects for years, after reading about the concept in a quilt magazine, before I had any clue who Bonnie Hunter was. They don’t finish up. quickly, but they make great community quilts when they are finally completed. Who knows where they will lead?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scrappy quilts! At one time, I was simply researching quilting in the Southwest - and I got hooked! I love going back to the roots of quilting! Your quilt is fabulous! Leader/enders go up really fast! Looking forward to your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love scrappy quilts, for me I think I would have to calm it down a bit with sashing. That is what makes the world go round-we are all different:0 Got the house all organized and decorated and loving it all??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree 100% the scrappier the better and this is scraphappy or should I say scraptastic? I love leader ender projects. Since I'm usually working on more than one project at a time, I just use various pieces as my leader enders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a collection of blocks! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blocks. The scrappy layout is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your blocks look wonderful together, I can just imagine you and hubby snuggles under it in the winter, warm and cozy in front of the fire, Christmas tree twinkling, music playing, dreaming your dreams on a cold winters night. Oh! I got carried away again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Quilt of Many Colors is coming together beautiful. It really does have that vintage vibe. What a great idea for those little squares. I have a couple of boxes of those somewhere. The plan is to clean up the sewing room over Christmas vacation. If I find those now I have an idea what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The scrappier, the better for my taste. Your blocks are looking just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, really need to send your blocks to you. I was just gathering some bits for the other quilt you were making and then it will be in the mail. :) I love those tiny squares. That will be fun to see what they become.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!