Sunday, July 23, 2017

Quilt Room Progress

Soooo excited to see the built-in shelving go into my quilt room yesterday!

Quilt Room Shelves

 I am going to have so much fun figuring out where I am going to put what on which shelf!  One thing I saw that I really, really want to try are these!
A tutorial for making these can be found at SewCanShe.com  Click here for the direct link to a free tutorial.  Caroline at SewCanShe calls these BIG Fold Up Baskets and I am guessing she probably has tutorials for smaller ones as well.  I love the look of these and how sturdy they are!  Aren't they pretty?  I believe they are reversible too.

Yesterday, in addition to the shelves in my quilt room, shelves and cubbies were being installed in the rest of the house too.  I am loving all this storage!   Here is the pantry . . .

Here is the back entry coming in through the garage.  This will have coat hooks along with the cubbies.

And here is my daughter's bedroom with a window seat for reading and writing (her favorite occupations).  She is starting college at the end of August but I'm sure we'll be seeing her on the weekends now and then.


So that's what's happening inside the house.  I believe painters will be coming through next.  That will be very interesting because we did something adventurous with the colors on the inside.  No, nothing bright or too bold (are you surprised?) but there will be three colors in the main living space.  I'll show you when they are done.

And finally, if you read my last post you know that I was struggling with a block because I kept making mistakes on it.  I took a break from that pain in the neck and tried again yesterday.  I could not, for the life of me, get those points to match up correctly so don't look too close.  I sewed and ripped several times and I'm calling it good.  Here she is . . .  ornery little thing!

And here are the three I have made so far all together . . .

I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW!!  I got to visit and sew with Robin my BQF (Best Quilty Friend) yesterday and she taught me something new about my machine!  I'm sure I'm probably the last person on earth to know this so please no snickering if you've known this for decades.  I know there are other new seamstresses out there besides me so for your sakes I don't want you to be sewing on your machine for years before you figure this out!  

Here is it:  When you are stopped and you only need to go one more stitch, instead of stepping on your foot pedal real quick in hopes that you only add one more stitch, step on the heel of the pedal and it will go a 1/2 stitch at a time.  If the needle is up, it will go down and stop.  If the needle is down, it will go up and stop.  I don't know if all machines do this or not, but I did not know that MY machine does this (Bernina 440QE).  THANK YOU, ROBIN!

Hurray for learning new things! 

Linking to:





14 comments:

  1. That is a lot of storage! It will be nice to see everything you have. Your house is really coming along. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness... you won't know yourself with all that storage! And trust me, matching points are over-rated - your block looks just fine to me :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so much nice storage for your sewing room that is great. Love those baskets you will be ready to move in before you know it and I bet after being in the camper in the hot summer you will be more than ready to do the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you stopped, and I wanted to see more! Your sewing room looks BIG, your storage is fantastic, and you will be able to have a big table in the middle that you can walk around too. I like the back entry with the cubbies, are they for shoes? And what do you put in the top ones? I have very fond memories of a window seat, but that's all I'm saying! I'm giving you top marks for perseverance finishing the block, sometimes you just have to walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made some really nice blocks! I spy some BLUE for the RSC. :o))
    LOVE all that added storage!! You are going to have some BIG fun filling all those shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea for all the shelving and cubbies in the new house. When I move to a new place I tend to try to figure out what I'm going to put on each shelf. Once I figure that out I put a sticky note on the shelf front to remind myself when I'm moving things in. (And, sometimes I have to use tape with the sticky notes cause they don't stay up!) Love your blue and yellow block. Good for you to keep trying. But sometimes it makes sense to do the best you can and call it good even if it isn't quite perfect. And, actually, I don't know if other machines have the half stitch but I love it especially when I'm doing machine appliqué. Needle down, turn a corner. It's a great thing to know about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh, I'm drooling over all that storage! I can't wait to see all your fabric filling those shelves :)

    On my machine, if you step on the heel of the pedal, it cuts the thread! Scared the heck out of me the first time I did it accidentally. I use the needle up/down button to take a single stitch. I'm learning how different each machine can be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really liking all the great shelving you are putting in your home. Can't wait to see your finished quilt room. There are no "quilt police" looking at your block so don't beat yourself up over it!!! survivor972002@midco.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure I speak for many when I say I'm pretty envious of all that shelving! And those fabric boxes are pretty fine. Thanks for the link to the tutorial! There's nothing wrong with that block! It's beautiful. The heel of the foot pedal, hmm? I'll have to check that out. It took me several months to figure out how to go backwards on my machine. They're so fancy fancy now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that built-in storage... amazing! You are inspiring me to plan some built-ins in my new studio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration and link on Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi Hug

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooooo! I love all that quilting room storage! Amazing! Your new forever home is coming along so beautifully!

    Your block is lovely! In fact all the blocks look so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Green with envy!!!!!!!!! Those shelves are to die for, can't wait to see the whole room, you must be shaking with excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your sewing room is going to be fabulous! Love all those shelves. I don't think you can ever have too much storage. Your ornery block looks lovely. Happy stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!