Sunday, May 1, 2016

Pretzel Twist

Yesterday, I was standing in line at the fabric store and saw this.  It has always been one of  my favorite magazines but I'm not yet a subscriber.  What is wrong with me?  Anyway, bought it.
Inside was this quilt designed by Jane Vaughn called Petzel Twist and I fell in love and immediately wanted to make one.  I don't have enough projects going on apparently.  Looks complicated at first glance, but I was delighted to find out how simple it is!   Love the illusion of  interlocking "chains".  
So since yesterday, this is what I have so far . . .

I have learned some things along the way and if anybody else saw this quilt and was wanting to make it, I have a few tips for you if you're interested.  My impatience made it harder on me than it needed to be.

Mistake #1.  This is supposed to be a quick and easy pattern for pre-cuts.  Jelly rolls in particular.  Well, I don't have any jelly rolls at the moment but I REALLY wanted to start so just started grabbing fabric that I had recently bought.  Dumb.  I had to cut all those 2  1/2" inch pieces myself instead of just slicing something off of a jelly roll strip.  

Mistake #2.  Using one designer's fabrics makes things a lot simpler to choose the colors.  I didn't.  Oh well, it is going to be a bit chaotic, but definitely colorful!

The other thing that will speed things up is if you have sewn ALL the prints and background strips together like this before you start deciding which two colors will go into each block.  Every single print rectangle gets a white square at the end (like the two on the right), and every single print square gets a white square and a white rectangle on either side (like the two strips on the left.  Here is an example of what each block consists of.  

Here is what the above strips look like arranged properly to make a block:
Every single block is sewn together in exactly the same way with the only difference being the colors and the fact that every other block is rotated a quarter turn.  TIP:  Pay close attention to what colors come next!  I've already had to rip apart one whole block because I wasn't paying attention!

In the meantime, I have also decided what I'm going to do with this coffee fabric.  

I had already ordered a book with coffee cup patterns in it but changed my whole plan and will be making placements and a table runner out of it.   Much easier!!  I'm so relieved to at least have a plan now.

Linking up this week to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework  and am going to go explore some other blogs for some pleasure reading!

Also linking to Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts, Design Board at  Bits and Bobs, and Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication.

Happy quilting!

Janice 








26 comments:

  1. I love that coffee fabric; it's perfect for a mat for your tray with coffee cups or on the table. Have fun using it. What a great find in that magazine! It's a very effective pattern, from such a straightforward block. I'm tempted to look for a copy myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! There are some other fun projects in there too.

      Delete
  2. I really like that new quilt you started! Amazing that such a simple plan with the squares and rectangles can become such a neat design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it goes together fast! Double bonus. Neat design, quick construction!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the magazine here in England Janice, although I don't buy many magazines to be honest. I do like Pretzel Twist though, it's a lovely design and it looks like you're making a good job of it. Making mistakes is part of the quilting journey, we all do it, the most important thing is learning from them.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the design but not quite as thrilled with my color selections. Oh well. It will be quick (I hope) and I can start another one, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pretzel Twist looks like a great pattern and your version is looking fabulous! I do have a jelly roll waiting to be used so will keep this pattern in mind - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Would love to see your version if you decide to make one!

      Delete
  6. Love the Pretzel Twist pattern....we used to get Fons and Porter mags all the time in Australia and I bought them every month but I haven't seen them here for quite some time. I love your version and since I never buy jelly rolls, I would go the route of cutting the strips myself. I do have a big shot cutting machine with a 2.5" strip cutting template. Thanks for the tips and thanks for sharing at Design Board Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s....pinning on Pinterest for future reference!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Cath. And I think I am a tad bit jealous of your strip cutter!! What kind of machine is it?

      Delete
  7. I like your pretzel twist, and I think it will look fine with your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! I appreciate the encouragement and thank you for visiting my blog as well!

      Delete
  8. I love quilt patterns that look more complicated than they are - this Pretzel Twist falls into that category. It will look fantastic when you have it finished; thanks for sharing your tips on making it easier. I also appreciate you linking to Main Crush Monday! Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for the encouraging words!

      Delete
  9. Your colours look bright and go really well together to my eye. A great pattern and thanks for sharing the tips you learned along the way. I look forward to having a go with a jelly roll I have too, just have to stick with the half dozen or so projects I already have on the go first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn, I hope they do. I guess it looks kind of chaotic to me because the blocks aren't sewed together yet. I really do like it. Good luck with all your projects!

      Delete
  10. I like the pretzel twist and choosing your own colours makes it more personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! There definitely are memories attached to certain fabrics. :)

      Delete
  11. ~Haven't come across this publication yet - looks great. The design you choose it lovely. Look forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a terrific pattern and just squares and rectangles! As for your tips, I'd like to say to #1, kudos to you for using your stash, and saving $$ on the jelly rolls which are pretty pricey, and on #2, it's great for honing your colour sense, and I think you're doing very well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always make mistake #1. I never seem to buy jelly rolls and just cut strips instead. I always regret it half way through and think the jelly roll would be so much easier. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replying via iPhone was a fail! At least not using a jelly roll gives us fabric cutting practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know a jelly roll is more convenient, but hey, at least you get you use up some of your stash! See, there is a plus side to this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pretzel quilt blocks look great!!! I never use precuts because I like to wash my fabric before, but I love my Sizzix for cutting strips...it's so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the tips! I've selected Pretzel Twist pattern to make for our family reunion... Since we're all "linked" together! Fingers crossed it comes out as cute as yours.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!